Emotional Telephone Support is a stand-alone telephone service, however many choose to access it whilst they are waiting for face to face counselling.
It offers an initial stepping stone towards addressing the impact of sexual or domestic abuse enabling users to discover new emotional and practical resourcing strategies to support them in day to day life. It can also help them to prepare for face to face counselling.
- To use counselling skills within a short term model providing support for the client.
- To provide a safe and containing environment in order to build a working alliance with the client and make an agreement about the focus of the work.
- The focus of the work may be about reinforcing and building resources and coping strategies/regulating emotions, psycho-education about trauma, identifying triggers and discussing how to respond, identifying appropriate support, raising self-esteem, supporting a client with coping through a court case.
- To help the client identify their needs for face to face counselling.
- To work with agreed number of clients providing emotional support over the telephone.
- Attend fortnightly supervision
- To keep supervisor/ETS Co-ordinator informed of any circumstances that impact on the client work.
- Once a volunteer makes a commitment to offer a client 6 sessions this needs to be honoured unless there are exceptional circumstances.
You should be:
- 18 years or over
- Able to work within the policies & procedures of the service
- Emotionally robust enough to work openly with issues of sexual violation and domestic abuse.
- A team player
- Open to learning & development
- Good listening skills
- Life skills/transferable skills
- Preferably studying counselling
- A supportive & challenging volunteering opportunity
- Further development/training
- High quality on-site group supervision
- Opportunities to develop both personally and professionally
In house training is provided.
Supervision will take place 1-2 hours per fortnight with a trained senior supervisor.
3 hours. Working with 3 clients per week, plus note keeping.
With an addition 1-2 hours fortnightly for supervision.
How do I apply?
We are committed to a policy of equality and the elimination of discrimination in all aspects of our work. To ensure that these aims are achieved, we need to record certain personal details about prospective volunteers.